West Street Village Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/West-Street-Village-LLC-161151980755188
Guidelines for Decorating Trees 2017
Friday October 27th from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
Saturday, October 28th from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
Sunday, October 29th from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
32 South Main Street, North East, Maryland, 21901
All decorating must be completed by 4:00 pm on October 29th to allow for judging prior to the Opening Reception.
Decorators should bring any items they may need during set up such as a cart or dolly, step-ladder, drop cloth to control glitter or snow, scissors, tape, floral wire and tape, wire cutters, glue gun, extra ribbon, ornaments, filter, etc. We ask that you be respectful of the facility and your fellow decorators, avoid messes and clean up after completing your decorations.
All trees are artificial and are approximately 6 feet tall. When you arrive to decorate your tree, it will be set up and ready to decorate. Please do not change your tree or its location. Your tree will be located as close as possible to its final location to minimize movement after decorating. However, please note that once decorating is complete, the trees may need to be repositioned as the final site decorations are completed. Securely fasten all decorations to ensure they are not displaced should any movement be required. Please decorate all sides of the tree.
Each tree in the Festival of Trees is decorated according to a theme selected by the tree’s decorator. Decorations may be anything the decorators choose as long as they are appropriate for any home or business. Tree sales are an important part of the fundraising efforts. Decorators are asked to let your creativity soar! All types of trees sell, but the bestselling trees are imaginative, exciting, and eye-catching.
- Lights can be white, colored, blink, chase, etc. There are only enough outlets to provide one electrical connection per tree. Please do not bring or us extension cords.
- You may use decorations you purchase or make. Your decorations will be sold with the tree. No advertising or inappropriate materials. Please note that decorations MAY NOT promote a business unless the business is the TREE SPONSOR.
- All spraying of any type (including glue and glitter) must be done OUTSIDE the facility.
- Please decorate the top of your tree including a topper or large bow. If your tree topper is fragile, include a box with your tree so it is safe when transported by the person who bought the tree.
- Decorations should be in proportion to the size of the tree. Make sure your tree is FULL using fillers, garlands, fabrics, decorations, and ornaments. You are encouraged to use a tree skirt and/or decorations (wrapped boxes, toys, etc.) around the base of your tree to coordinate with your theme and enhance the overall appeal and look of your tree.
- ALL TREES WILL BE AUCTIONED AND SOLD, please remember that everything you put on and under the tree will be sold with the tree. If you are considering using an heirloom or keepsake, please do not put it in the display unless you want to donate it to the Festival of Trees.
- Do not bring tables on which to stage your decorations. Due to the limited space, the use of tables can severely limit the decorating space of neighboring trees.
- All trees are located at floor-level and must remain at floor level. They cannot be moved onto any other surface (chair, table, stool). Trees may be placed on risers by the Festival of Trees Planning Committee to enhance their visibility.
Tree Themes and Judging
The Theme Title, Sponsor Names(s) and Decorator Names(s) will be displayed on the signage coordinating with your tree. Decorators are asked to select a category that is representative of their designs from the following:
- Maryland/Cecil County
During the judging process, the judges know only the tree’s category and name; they do not know who sponsored or decorated the tree. Awards will be announced at the Opening Reception. Award ribbons will be displayed with the winning trees.
A silent auction will take place throughout the month of November and first weekend of December. A table with a photo of each tree and auction sheet will be located at the venue. The auction will close Saturday, December 2nd at 8 pm.
The last day of the Festival is Saturday, December 2nd. The auction will close at 4 pm. Trees can be picked up immediately after. Remaining trees will be available for pickup Sunday, December 3rd from 10 am to 2 pm.
Please note: The Festival of Trees Committee does not have the capability to deliver trees. If you are unable to pick-up your tree, please make arrangements to have someone else pick-up your tree by 2:00 pm on Sunday, December 3rd.